The combination of sweet and spicy is such a winning pair. Little sweet, little heat, fried chicken. #Winning. The idea for this recipe came while I was making French toast and realized the strawberry glazed I'm using on bread would go so well with chicken by adding a few spices and touches of heat. I've cooked this recipe 3 times in the past 3 days to get it just right and I think I finally have a good blend. This recipe serves as a good base for other fruit based sauces. Easily substitute strawberries out for peaches, mangos, raspberries, etc. The options are endless so go crazy. Details below.
- 1 pack of Chicken Wingettes
- Seasonings for Chicken
- Seasoning Salt (kept it SUPER simple, the flavor will be built into the sauce)
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Black Pepper
- Cayenne Pepper
- About 4 cups of Strawberries
- 1/4 cup of Sugar
- 2 TBSP of honey
- 1 Hungarian Wax Pepper, finely chopped
- 2 TBSP of Chili Paste
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup of Green Onion, finely chopped
- Vegetable Oil
1. Preheat oil on medium high heat and season chicken. Vina's Note: Look I don't have the answers on how to season your chicken and much of what spice to use. If you DON'T know how to season chicken, this recipe isn't for you and you should start at the basics. Walk before you run.
2. Drop chicken in oil. Cook for about 6-7 minutes on each side. Fry until chicken is golden brown. Once done, drain on paper towel to remove excess oil. Vina's Note: You can dredge these wings if that's your thing, however I preferred to cook them naked. better texture in my opinion.
3. Meanwhile, in a sauce pan, drop in the chili paste, green onions and garlic with a touch of oil. Saute for about a minute to bloom the flavors.
4. To sauce pan, add strawberries and sugar. Stir and let simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often. Vina's Note: If you have an Immersion Blender, now is the time to use it. If not, take a fork and crush as many strawberries as you can to get optimal juices.
5. Strain sauce to eliminate pulp from peppers and strawberries.
6. Toss chicken in a bowl with a little sauce at a time. You want saucy wings but not soggy wings.
7. Optional: Garnish with sesame seeds and fresh green onions.
8. Not optional: Enjoy!